Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Simplicity

I made an interesting observation today. Will and I went to the library this morning, which is a great place for a child like him to get his wiggles out before nap time. Usually when we go, he goes straight over to either the big plastic house or the mini car track and can be entertained for quite a while. This morning, however, he was perfectly content to do one thing for the whole time we were there - run up and down the ramp next to the stairs. I couldn't believe how much he enjoyed that thing. He played with the house for a couple of minutes, let me read him about half a book, and then spent the rest of the time running up and down the ramp. I am amazed at how the simplest thing can entertain a child. It made me think about how I always have to have something to do, watch, listen to, etc., in order to be happy and entertained. If only I could be like Will and be content running up and down a ramp for half an hour!

1 comment:

Phyllis Bestor said...

Fun isn't it to discover the simple joys of a child. I remember also when he ran up and down the small incline in our yard and kept saying excitedly, "Running,running!" He was much younger, but so pleased with himself!