Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tantrum, anyone?

Being the mother of a two-year-old is an interesting experience. He's old enough to talk in full sentences, take off (and occasionally put on) a few items of clothing, and recognize basic colors and shapes. However, you also get to experience the wonderful phenomenon called the temper tantrum. He's had a number of them over the past few months, but tonight was probably one of the worst ones in a long time. By the time it was over, Bill and I were emotionally drained and I was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to prevent them or help them be over more quickly. We've tried calmly talking to him, hugging him, leaving him alone, rocking him, and a few other things, and they either only worked for a few minutes or not at all. So I'm seeking the help of any of you mothers who have experienced this or know of people who have, and asking if you have any advice. I know every child is different, but I'm willing to try anything at this point!

1 comment:

Laura H. said...

Jessica has also just entered the lovely world of tantrums. Most of the time I just have to put her in the other room and let her do her thing. But sometimes it helps to let the Spirit do some of the work. Singing primary songs or especially saying a prayer together sometimes will do the trick for her. But I'm afraid that most of the time I just have to sit back and try to control my sanity while she goes crazy! Good luck and let me know if you have any advice for me! :)