Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mommy Musings: The Importance of Women

We had a really good lesson in Relief Society today. It was based on a talk by Quentin L. Cook entitled "LDS Women Are Incredible!" There have been a number of times when I feel like a lesson or talk has been prepared or given just for me. Today was one of those days. As a stay-at-home mom there are many days when I think to myself "Why am I doing this?" or "Can this get any harder or more overwhelming?" I love my children, but motherhood can be very taxing, not only physically but emotionally. I often feel like I don't measure up to my full potential. I feel like I'm not doing enough for Bill or the kids. This quote by Elder Cook made me feel a bit better

Our women are not incredible because they have managed to avoid the difficulties of life—quite the opposite. They are incredible because of the way they face the trials of life. Despite the challenges and tests life has to offer—from marriage or lack of marriage, children’s choices, poor health, lack of opportunities, and many other problems—they remain remarkably strong and immovable and true to the faith. Our sisters throughout the Church consistently “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”

We can't avoid the trials of our life. That's why we are here on this earth. How we approach them is what matters the most. I often lose track of that. Unfortunately I've been known too often to ask "Why is this happening to me?" It's something I've struggled with for a long time and something I have decided to work extra hard to overcome.

Another interesting point that was brought up in the Relief Society lesson today was about the organization of Relief Society. The sister giving the comment brought up the fact that the Relief Society is an organization of the Church that wasn't proposed by the priesthood. Emma Smith and others went to the Prophet Joseph Smith and talked to him about starting an organization for women. Eliza R. Snow drafted a constitution all on her own. These were strong women who knew what they wanted to do and knew how to get it done.

I'm very glad that we had this lesson today, because I needed to be reminded of my important role in my family, in my church, and in my community. As a woman I have special abilities and qualities that are unique.

3 comments:

Brooke B said...

This is so true. I look at other women and think "they are raising children", but forget that I am too and not just "babysitting".

Anonymous said...

I know this all too well. Isn't it wonderful that we have chuch leaders this day to help us and give us counsel on how to live when it's so easy to stray?

I decided to go back to school to at least finish my AA and I am scared to death that I won't be able to make it. But it's another one of those trials that I need to face so I can better myself and my family!!

phyllis bestor said...

Since Grandpa and I are retired, he has had a chance to see all the things that a mother/housewife does in one day and is amazed and I don't even children at home anymore. He also noticed that when we had Will here in our home. Mothers have to be so unselfish with their time, energy,But there is a time for everything!