Sunday, February 10, 2008

I will conquer my fear!

So you can tell it's been a slow week when your post has a title like that. Oh well, on with the post. Our family has been here in Urbana for about 6 months or so, and that whole time I went without having a calling. I had enjoyed being able to sit through Sunday School and Relief Society without a care in the world, basking in the spirit of the meetings. Notice that I've been using the past tense. Yes, it's true, the inevitable has happened. I have been given a calling. But not just any calling...a teaching calling! Last Sunday, our family hadn't been at church for more than 5 minutes when a member of the bishopric came over and asked if they could extend a calling to me. I said sure, thinking they would call me to be on the activities committee or something. But no such luck. I got called to be a Gospel Doctrine teacher. Let's just say...not what I was expecting. I have only had one teaching calling since I graduated from high school, and that was a class of 6-7 year olds. Teaching a class of your peers is COMPLETELY different. But I'm not usually one to turn something down like that, so I dutifully started preparing my first lesson. I was feeling pretty good about it for the first couple of days, but every time I went back to work on it a little, doubt started creeping in more and more. By the time this morning rolled around, I was a nervous wreck. Of course, my wonderful husband kept reassuring me that everything would be fine, but that did very little to calm my nerves (thanks for trying, honey!) Luckily, my lesson didn't completely bomb, and no one but Bill could tell that I was as nervous as I was. Of course, after the lesson was over, I spent the next hour going through my mind what went wrong and what I could have done differently. And I'm sure it'll take a while before I feel completely comfortable in this new calling, but hopefully I will be able to face and conquer this fear. And hopefully next time I'll have something a little more fun and interesting to post!

9 comments:

Phyllis Bestor said...

First time! We all go through it and, yes, when it's finished we analyze and think about what we could have done differently! But it only gets easier, I promise. You have a great attitude and so does your Bill!

OctopusFingerpuppet said...

Wow, you sound like me when I first got called to teach gospel doctrine. Nice to know I'm not the only one. It never got easier for me, but it did keep getting better and better. We've got a great ward here. You'll come to love this cluster of peers.

Laura H. said...

I am definitelly not jealous - I get play with Sunbeams at church. :) But I know you'll make a great teacher and this way you'll get to know even more people faster. Good luck! You'll be great!

Jessica Bybee said...

You didn't seem nervous at all and your lesson was really great! I am excited to hear your next lesson!!!

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

Way to go! I'm pretty sure it was a great lesson. I mean, come on. You're very intelligent and well spoken. Not to mention spiritual as well. I'm sure it was great. Good luck in the future, but you probably will get the hang of things and won't need luck. Good to hear about what's happening with you.

Paul said...

That calling would scare me too. I think you'll do great, and you'll probably get to know your ward pretty quickly this way too.

Calley said...

You're going to be a great teacher! I had to teach Gospel essentials in college and it scared the dickens out of me! And I was a teaching major for crying out loud! But I've concluded we all "doubt" ourselves from time to time with callings like that, but pretty much we're the only ones that doubt ourselves. But you'll do fabulous my friend! Keep us posted!

mary said...

You will be great!!

Jesika Harmon said...

Oh I wish I could come to your class! What lucky people to get you as a teacher! With the spirit by your side I know you are just amazing. Luv you cuz!