Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My new "Friend"

I have a new friend...The Children's Friend magazine. It has saved my life the past 2-3 weeks. For a while we've been trying to figure out how to make our family home evening a little more "kid-friendly," and a few weeks ago, as I was trying to find a lesson, it came to me that I should look in The Friend. I found an easy lesson and activity that would be fun for all of us, and it was a huge success. So the next week I went back and found something else we could do, and Will actually sat down and was quiet for more than 5 minutes. Last night was a little bit harder, since we were trying to calm him down from a tantrum, but I plowed through the lesson, and after a few minutes, Will was able to listen and the crying ceased long enough for me to make my point. I am so grateful for this wonderful resource that not only keeps the attention of a 2-year-old, but teaches wonderful, simple gospel principles that will be beneficial to him for the rest of his life.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Ever since I left my parents' home, I've missed The Friend! I've thought about subscribing just for me, but then always decided not to. It truly is a great magazine! I am excited to be able to subscribe again soon!

The Ballard Family said...

That is so great! I too am just beginning to utilize The Friend. It is wonderful when Monday night rolls around and I was supposed to be in charge of the lesson (oops) and I can just open any page and there's a lesson!

Phyllis Bestor said...

I am impressed that you parents are on the ball early with lessons like that. Children are not too young to understand more than we think they do.

mary said...

I am so excited to subscribe. We decided when we renew our Ensign subscription we are going to start getting the Friend too. I cannot WAIT!