Saturday, July 5, 2008

What a trip!

*Warning: this post is going to be super long.

For those who didn't know, this past week I was in Utah visiting my family. I called this trip my "first" trip, because it was my first time being away from Will for more than a day since he was born, it was my first time traveling completely by myself, it was my first time being in Chicago, and my first time riding on the subway.


It was quite the trip from the very beginning. I first traveled by Greyhound bus from Champaign to Chicago. Having never used them before, I wasn't completely aware of all their rules and regulations. Apparently, if you are disabled and need special assistance, you need to call at least 48 hours ahead of time. I called 24 hours ahead of time to request a lift for the bus, and they denied my request. Therefore, I had to scoot on the bus on my behind in front of all the other passengers. I made sure to call them plenty ahead of time for my return trip so that wouldn't happen again.


When I got to Chicago, I had to catch the subway in order to get from the bus station to O'Hare International Airport. It may sound silly, but I had a lot of fun riding the subway. It was interesting seeing underneath the city and watching everything whiz by. While I was on the subway, I got a phone call from Orbitz, through whom I had made my flight reservations. They told me my flight was delayed two hours, which meant I wouldn't get into Salt Lake until after 11 at night. It also meant I had to sit in the airport an extra two hours, which is not always very enjoyable. Luckily I was traveling by myself, so I didn't have to deal with a cranky 2-year-old, unlike some people I saw at the airport.


The flight itself was uneventful. We hit some turbulence about halfway there (I'm guessing around Oklahoma/Kansas area), but it was over quickly and I finally landed in Salt Lake City. My dad was nice enough to come pick me up and take me down to my mom's house in Provo where I would be staying during the week. Once again I was so glad that I didn't have to worry about anyone but myself, as we didn't get to her house until almost 1 in the morning.
My first day in Utah was pretty uneventful. I enjoyed being able to sleep in a little and not worry about making people's breakfast or get anyone else ready. I spent some time on the computer checking e-mail and catching up on some things. Then I spent a good deal of the afternoon with my dad's parents at their house. They asked for updates on what our family has been doing, then we just joked around and had fun. I also was able to get my hair cut by a good friend of mine. That was a lot of fun, and I am really pleased with how it turned out. Later that night I spent some time with my little sister Erika. We had dinner and watched part of a movie together.


Saturday was a lot of fun. Esther, the friend who had cut my hair, told me that she was going to her 10 year high school reunion that day. She graduated one year before me, so I knew a lot of the people that were going to be there. She told me I should come, so I tagged along. I had so much fun catching up with old friends. It was weird seeing everyone with their kids, but it was a blast. The funniest part was that the majority of the people there thought I was in their grade anyway, so it wasn't weird for me to be there.


Later, my mom and Erika and I went to see the movie Kung Fu Panda. Such a cute and funny movie. I think Jack Black has become one of my favorite actors. I recommend it to anyone who has kids who are older than about 1 or 2.

Sunday I went to church with my sister. It was strange being in a singles ward again and not hearing little kids screaming or crying the whole time. It was fun to sit there and have her point out all the cute guys and people she knows. There was even a guy who I went to high school with that I hadn't seen in years. After church we went over to my grandparents house and had a belated birthday dinner (my birthday was June 26, the day I left for Utah) with my dad and his wife. We had some yummy food, then we all played a game of Phase 10.

My dad being his silly self


My beautiful sister Erika




Me with my dad and his wife Petrina

Monday was a lot of fun because I got to spend some time with my mom and my other grandparents. My mom's parents are serving a mission at Cove Fort, which was built by President Hinckley's grandfather back in the late 1800's. It was really neat to go there and see all the buildings and furnishings from that time period. Something cool I found out was that there was a wildfire a couple years ago in that area, and it made a circle around the fort, which itself wasn't harmed at all. It was a great testimony to how the Lord watches out for His people. Unfortunately there are no pictures from this day, because I left my camera in my sister's purse the day before, so it didn't have any battery left that day. We took some pictures with my grandparent's camera, so I will post them as soon as I get them.

Tuesday I spent the first part of the day doing a little shopping with Erika. I went and bought Bill something for our anniversary that he's needed for a while, Erika bought a couple of things, then we had lunch and just had a good time. Later that day I got together with some friends from high school. One of my best friends, Eve, was in town from Washington D.C., also visiting her family, so she got a group of us together at her house for a little party. It was so much fun seeing everyone again and just talking for hours.


Me and Eve

Wednesday was another fun day of seeing people that I hadn't seen in a long time. First I went to lunch with Megan and Amanda. Amanda was my roommate right before Bill and I got married, and Megan is her sister. I actually met Megan before I met Amanda, and I probably spent more time at her apartment than I did at my own. We went to Bajio's (another first, and oh my gosh, I love that place now!) and talked for a really long time, catching up on each other's lives. I wish I had remembered to take pictures while I was with them, but I was having too much fun just talking and laughing. After lunch I went over to my grandparent's house again, because my cousin Jesika, her little girl Bree, and my aunt Carrie were coming up from St. George to see me. My cousins Lizzy, Kurt and Michael also came over for a little while. I got a little homesick when I saw Bree, because she reminded me of Will, but we had such a fun time together. Jesika and I went around town taking some pictures for a surprise I'm making Bill for our anniversary, then we spent the rest of the night eating, laughing, and having the best time.


The adorable Bree Harmon.


Lizzy, Erika, me and Jesika enjoying some yummy cereal and yogurt

Thursday was my last day in Utah. Jesika and I got together in the morning and went walking, then their family invited me and Erika to go to breakfast with them. We went to Magelby's and had some yummy french toast.


Bree being her adorable self again


My cousins Kurt and Michael


Carrie and Jesika

It was a lot of fun and hard to leave so I could get to the airport. My mom drove me up to Salt Lake and we had a great time in the car together. I got to the airport in record time, and my flight was even on time. When I got to Chicago, I spent the night at the Hyatt Regency hotel a couple blocks away from the subway station. It was a beautiful hotel and I enjoyed splurging a little bit with the food, thanks to some extra money that my mom had given me earlier in the week.

This was my beautiful room


This is part of the lobby of the hotel. It was kind of scary riding the elevators, because they were see-through and there were many floors. Not always a fun thing for someone who is afraid of heights. But this hotel is really nice and high-class.

It was so great getting home to my family again later that day. I had a great time, but I definitely missed them. And I've decided I have the best husband in the world. He was willing to take care of Will all by himself while I went off on vacation. He also took on the task of cleaning most of our apartment as a surprise for me. What a great guy! Thanks to him and to everyone who made my trip to Utah so much fun.

3 comments:

Laura H. said...

That sounds like such a fun trip! I'm glad you had a chance to see family. Everyone needs that sometimes. You made me crave Magelby's french toast though. YUM!! I love ya sis!

Phyllis Bestor said...

Kristin, Yeah! What an adventure! The hotel looks great and you did it by yourself. Yes, I know it was a breeze for you, but many of us have never traveled alone much less in a wheel chair. That is a feather in your cap for sure. Loved having you here and thanks to your wonderful husband and baby for helping to make it possible.

Jesika Harmon said...

Sarah and I just read your post and we love you!! I'm SO glad that we got to see you while you were here!