Friday, September 5, 2008

The Power of Music

Growing up in a musical home, I think I took music for granted. In our house, piano lessons were pretty much required (which I am very grateful for now), I went to sleep a lot of nights listening to my dad writing music in his office downstairs, and we were constantly performing together as a family. It was a lot of fun having parents who were musicians, but for me and my sister it was just the way it was. I never fully appreciated how much of an influence music can have until this morning. Our family had a pretty crazy morning, full of tiredness, crankiness, and lots of stress. And that was all before 9:00. I personally was at the end of my rope, ready to throw in the towel and go back to bed for the rest of the day. Then my wonderful husband came up with a brilliant idea. He said "Turn on some soft music and have it playing in the background all day." I was a little skeptical at first, but I found one of my favorite CDs, put it into the computer and turned it on. It's been playing for the past hour or so, and Will and I have enjoyed a calm and peaceful time together. No screaming, whining, crying, or stress (and Will has been wonderful too). I definitely will be trying this again.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Isn't it wonderful how music can work for us instead of against us (which I suppose is also very true)? That is so nice to hear that it turned your day into such a pleasant one! Aedan personally prefers disco...
So I couldn't wait to find your blog and I can't wait to catch up on you guys!

Jackie said...

Oh and wow you are pregnant! Congrats! I totally didn't know! Oh Will will be a terrific older brother! Good luck!

Phyllis Bestor said...

Yes. .good thinking and good memories. Music is powerful even for the little ears which are so tuned in to everything, so let's make sure that they are tuned in to good things . . . like good music. I remember when Will didn't want to hold still when changing or dressing, I would start to sing something and he would literally freeze in attention.