Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is such a great day to remember the fathers that are a part of our lives and who have touched us in many different ways. They preside, provide, protect, teach, watch, and care for their families and friends in a way that is very unique to each individual. Today I want to pay special tribute to 5 fathers who have had a big influence on my life.


First is my grandpa Rollie. He is someone that I look up to with a lot of respect. Whenever we have the whole extended family together, he is always giving us great words of wisdom and advice. He cares about each one of us and wants to know what we're doing, even if we live hundreds of miles away. He loves to joke around and be silly, but he also knows what's important and what he needs to teach us.

Next is my grandpa Owen (sorry about no picture, Grandpa!). He is one of the sweetest, kindest people that I know. I love to play games with him and joke with him on the phone. He has a wonderful sense of humor and loves to laugh and have fun. He is a great handyman and has helped children and grandchildren with many different projects whenever he comes to visit. He is a peacemaker who always makes sure that everyone is happy and getting along.


My dad and I have always had a close relationship and are similar in many ways. He has always been in the public eye, but at home he was just Dad, and he did his best to make time for me and my sister despite his hectic schedule. Seeing him be a grandpa has been so neat, and I love watching him take care of Will and create that special bond.


In the 4+ years that I've known my father-in-law, I have gained a lot of respect for him. He is quiet, gentle, kind, serious, encouraging, supportive, loving, hard-working, and just an all-around good person. I think this picture is perfect, even though you can't see his face, because he loves Will very much and is the first person to steal him away whenever we come to visit.



And of course, there is my husband. I can't say enough about what a wonderful father he is. He is so gentle and patient toward Will, and loves to spend time with him. He often comments about how much he would like to be a stay-at-home dad while I go off and work. He loves to take Will outside or to the library and making sure that Will is happy. He does so well at providing for our family and keeping us going with his positive attitude and endless love. I am so grateful that he is the father of my children.

Happy Father's Day to these wonderful men, and to the many other fathers among my family and friends who I love dearly.

1 comment:

Phyllis Bestor said...

what a grand array of fathers who know that they are loved and appreciated and the reverse works too!