Wednesday, June 11, 2008

We are so blessed

I know it's probably a little silly to get something meaningful from a reality TV show, but I am going to wax philosophical for a few minutes. One of my favorite shows these days is Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The reason I love that show so much is because they go around the country essentially changing the lives of families that need help in all sorts of different ways. The most recent episode I watched was a family from Idaho that have 4 children all suffering from a potentially life-threatening disease. As I was watching I felt a myriad of emotions, including sympathy, sorrow, and joy. Watching this particular show made me realize just how lucky I personally am, and how lucky my family is. Being born with Spina Bifida, I know what it's like to have a million and one doctor visits, numerous surgeries, and special accommodations made for you. However, Spina Bifida is fairly mild compared to many birth defects and diseases that are out there. Yes I am confined to a wheelchair, but I am also a college graduate, a wife and mother, and besides not being able to walk, I consider myself a "normal" person.

Another thing I am so grateful for is that Will is a healthy, happy child. I see so many children out there, like the ones on this show, who have to deal with so many horrible things and it breaks my heart to see that. It also makes me look at my own child and realize that I have it pretty good. Besides spending a week in the NICU for a small infection when he was born, he has never had much more than a cold in the 2 1/2 years he's been on this earth. I remember when I was pregnant and we went in for an ultrasound. I felt so much relief when I could see that his spine was completely formed and he wouldn't have to deal with the things that I did growing up. I know there is a chance that one of our future children might have to deal with Spina Bifida, but I am so glad that at least Will doesn't have to.

Finally, I am grateful that the Lord has been watching out for us and that He sees us as worthy of His blessings. For example, Bill is currently working on his 3rd degree, but in the 4 years that we have been married, and the 3 degrees that we have between us already, we have never had to take out a single student loan. And because of wonderful medical insurance, we don't have medical bills piling up and drowning us. We have some amazing family and friends who have helped us tremendously over the years with everything from babysitting and bringing us meals to just sitting and talking with us if we've had a bad day.

We have been so incredibly blessed, and even when times might seem hard, I wouldn't trade the life I have for anything in the world. I have a wonderful husband who adores me and who I love so much, I have an adorable little boy who makes life fun and interesting, I have a roof over my head, food to eat, family and friends to spend time with, and so many more blessings. It's definitely a wonderful life.

2 comments:

Phyllis Bestor said...

Kristin, we love to get your philosophical tidbits because they are so genuine and make us all think about how we should always be grateful for the many good things that we have going for us. Thanks for sharing. Love you all!

Lizzy said...

I just wanted to thank you Kristin for your inspiration this morning. Your dose of gratitude touched me so much, and deeply! We are so blessed! Thank you for sharing it and helping me count my blessings as well, I sure love you!!