Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Inventive learning tools


I discovered a new way of teaching counting today, without even meaning to. We have a stack of Skip-Bo cards that Will has recently discovered, and likes to throw all over the floor. He did it again today, and while we were cleaning them up, I had another "Mommy breakthrough". I thought, "Hey, these cards have numbers on them-why not teach Will his numbers." So I started showing Will some of the cards and pointed out which number was on each card. So far he recognizes the number 7, but he also thinks the number 8 is the letter O, so we still have some work to do.

1 comment:

Phyllis Bestor said...

Kristin, It is amazing what a child can be taught to notice on anything around him including cereal boxes etc. Sometimes I believe that this the best way to teach and learn because it makes one aware of more right around us rather than buying everything which is supposed to "teach" in a contrived way. Does this make sense?