Saturday, May 31, 2008

We're not in Utah anymore


I lived in Utah my whole life until last year, and there are a lot of things that Utah is known for, such as Temple Square, great skiing, bad drivers, and unpredictable weather. You never know what the weather's going to be like, or if it's going to change in 5 minutes. For example, you could have a good thunderstorm for about half an hour, then all of a sudden you have sunny skies again, or vice versa. Well it's definitely not that way here in the Midwest. Last night we had a whopper of a storm. And it lasted for HOURS. I have never seen so much thunder, lightning and rain in all my life! A lot of the roads were literally small ponds that you had to drive through. And every 5 minutes on the radio they were broadcasting thunderstorm warnings, flood warnings, and tornado warnings. Luckily none of those warnings were for our specific area (I think the closest one was about an hour away), but it was still pretty scary to realize that they very well could have been. I guess this is one more thing about living in this part of the country that I'm going to have to get used to.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

You may even come to love those big storms (though probably not tornadoes) and miss them when/if you're ever back in Utah. :) I do.

Phyllis Bestor said...

Kristin, Did you take the picture. It looks like a tornado. . . Is it? We do miss those rambunctious Wis. Mid-West storms, especially the thunder and lightening! Right now we have a Garden of Eden bliss with all of my plantings done and the sun with a cacophony of birds everywhere.

Bill, Kristin, Will and Kayla said...

This picture is not a picture that I took myself. I found it when I put "tornado" into Google search. There was not a tornado near where we were.

Paul said...

Us too! It's CRAZY. We've had several nights where there is non-stop flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder for hours. If nothing else, it's motivated us to get caught up on our formerly non-existent food storage!

mary said...

I LOVE storms, but I do not know what to do with these tornados!

Really darling Father's Day post, by the way...