Monday, January 14, 2008

The gospel is true!

I was thinking about Elder Ballard's admonition to use blogs and other sources of media to discuss the gospel and the Church. I have had a number of experiences over the last week or so that have strengthened my testimony and reminded me how much I love this gospel that I have decided to get on my soapbox for a minute and talk about them. Bear with me, because this could turn out to be a long post.

The first experience happened about Thursday or Friday. Will was having a hard time getting to sleep for his nap, so Bill and I went into his room and starting singing some songs to help him calm down. He really enjoys Primary songs, so we sang things like "I'm Trying to be Like Jesus" and "I Love to See the Temple". There's a line in "the temple song" (as Will calls it) that talks about feeling the Holy Spirit. As soon as I started singing those words, the Spirit came into the room so strongly that I couldn't even finish the rest of the song. I love those times when you can feel God's presence through the Spirit. It's such a wonderful, happy feeling.

The next two experiences both happened yesterday (Sunday). In sacrament meeting, one of the hymns we sang was "I Know that My Redeemer Lives." I have come to love that song, but especially the last few lines of verse 2. It says "He lives to comfort me when faint. He lives to hear my soul’s complaint. He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to wipe away my tears. He lives to calm my troubled heart. He lives all blessings to impart." Every time I read or sing those words, I am reminded of the fact that God knows each and every one of us and is aware of our struggles. I'm also reminded of how much God loves us regardless of the mistakes we might make and he's always there to comfort us when we are feeling down.

The last experience started out sad then ended on a peaceful note (at least for me). And I hope that Bill's family won't mind me sharing this. We found out that Bill's grandma died yesterday afternoon. I had gotten to know her fairly well when we were living in Provo, because we would go see her occasionally. She was a very neat person, and I was glad for the time we all got to spend together. Bill talked to his mom for a while on the phone, and there was something she said that stuck with me and made me look at the whole experience a little differently than I might have if I didn't have the knowledge of the gospel. She said "She's with Dad" (meaning she's with her husband, who passed away some years ago). I am so grateful that we have the blessing of the temple and the chance to be sealed together for eternity. I don't think I could get through this life if I didn't know that I would be able to be with my husband and children after death as well.

I am so grateful for the gospel in my life, and the peace and joy it brings to me every day in so many ways.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

I love Elder Ballard's talk too. Such sweet experiences, thank you for sharing. :)

Lizzy said...

Trying again Kristin, Liz is helping me to get this organized. Grandma Phyllis

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

Kristin! I just got back to NYC today. Too bad. I hope you have a good time visiting family. It's good to be in touch again through these blogs!

EvePate said...

Kristin,

Thank you for sharing your testimony with us. I am reminded that the joy and faith that I possess are in large part a result of keeping company with such wonderful friends.

Eve

Hafen girls story club said...

Hi Kristin!
Good to get your comment, this blogging thing is awesome. It sounds like you guys are doing well, that makes me happy. I saw your cousin, Jessika Henderson this summer, we went to high school together, and I didn't realize the connection. I hope all is going well! We miss you here at Wymount!

Jesika Harmon said...

What a beautiful testimony. You inspire me my cousin! I could feel the spirit as I read your words... you are so beautiful. Thanks for being such a great example to me!
~Jes