Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Quick" Story


In the last post I said that if people wanted to hear about how Bill proposed and why he proposed twice, I would be happy to tell them. A couple people responded and said they wanted to hear about it, so here's the story:

We had started talking about getting married around January or February of 2004. Bill said that he wanted to pick out the ring by himself and surprise me, which was perfectly fine with me. I told him the basic idea of what I wanted, but I was excited to see what he would pick out himself (I think he did a great job - my ring looks very unique and I love it). Anyway, near the end of March we were headed up to a stake fireside at BYU. We got into a small argument on the way, which we can't even remember now, but it put a small damper on the evening. After the fireside we were heading back to my apartment when Bill said that he thought we should talk. We walked over to the testing center and sat on the benches for a few minutes. We talked through what had happened earlier, then Bill got quiet. He got down on his knee, looked at me and said, "I didn't plan on doing this right now, but will you marry me?" And, since he didn't have my ring yet, he took off the CTR ring I had been wearing on that finger, then put it back on again to make it "official." It took me completely off guard, because I wasn't expecting it either, but of course I said yes right away, then we went inside and called some of our family, because Bill hadn't even talked to my dad yet!

The "real" proposal took place about a month later. Bill had promised that he would give me my engagement ring by the end of the semester. I have no idea how I made it through my classes, because I was so excited. One day he called me and told me to get dressed up because he was taking me somewhere special that night. When he picked me up, we headed toward campus, and it surprised me when we pulled into the Creamery on Ninth. I guess it shouldn't have surprised me too much, because that's where we had our first date, but I digress. Anyway, we walked in, and when we got to the tables I saw that one of them had been set up like a table at a fancy restaurant. There was a green tablecloth, a rose in a vase, and a little display of pictures of us. We sat down and ordered our food, and a few minutes after we had started eating one of the workers came up to our table with a rose in her hand. She set it down on the table, then said "12 more weeks" (which meant there were 12 more weeks until we were getting married). About 5 minutes after that another worker came over with another rose. She set it down and said, "Everything I do I do for you", which is one of my favorite songs. This continued throughout our meal, until I had 12 roses. Bill had put together 12 different things about our relationship to go along with each rose. After our meal we drove to the main part of campus and walked over to the Museum of Art where they have a great little garden area. Bill led me over to the small reflecting pool, gave me a penny and said, "If you throw in a penny and make a wish, your wish will come true." I threw in the penny and, of course, wished that he would propose to me that night. He took me over to the other side of the pool and told me to look down in the water. When I looked I saw a sign that said "Kristin and Billy", made completely out of coins. I reached down and pulled on the sign. When I did, I noticed there was a piece of fishing wire attached. And attached to the fishing wire was a bag with a ring box. Bill took the box out of the bag, opened it up, and I saw my beautiful ring. He took it out, put it on my finger, and said "I love you, will you marry me?"

So now you all know the wonderful story of how Bill proposed. Not everyone can say that they were proposed to twice, or in such a unique way. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I loved re-living it!

1 comment:

mary said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!! Kristin Evans, what a story! I can just see you guys all dressed up at the Creamery with workers coming over to bring you roses. Holy cow. And pennies in the pond, and a ring on fishing wire! I am floored! What a story. I am so glad you shared it!

P.S. Your trip to Utah looked nice, although I wish it could have been under different circumstances. I bet it was nice to go back and see family!!